Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Buyers Beware...USUALLY NOT NEEDED!!

If you receive a letter asking you to send payment for a copy of your grant/deed....please know that its not necessary
Some of the sample letters that we are receiving from our clients who have just closed on their new home are from:

RECORD RETRIEVAL DEPARTMENT - 1550 Larimer St.  Denver 80202
or
SECURED DOCUMENT SERVICES - Washington, DC
or
LOCAL RECORDS OFFICE - 1550 Larmier St. #302, Denver CO 80202

They use verbiage such as:  "deed retrieval services", "final notice", "Jefferson County Public Fee", "Deed Processing Notice", "a service used to obtain copy of your closing documents", and my favorite, "Compliance Response Date."

Please be careful as you comb through your mail as a new homeowner.  There will be important information that you will be receiving but it will be from the county, title company, or lender.  And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to call your agent for further information.

9 comments:

  1. In addition please note the letter received by us was in a Arapahoe County Assessor office envelope (3 times). I called and shared the info with them as well to look into. I called the number the person answered named Mia completely stumbled when I questioned their deceitfullness by using a government envelope. These people are losers and should be embarrased that they are liars and cheaters to innocent people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this, I am first time home buyer, it looked suspicious to me. Thanks to your post, I have not been robbed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting, I just received one of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just received one as well. Glad I googled this. I scannd it in so I have an electronic copy and shared it with a family member who just so happens to be a Federal Judge. I also plan on sending this to another friend today. This person just retired as a Senior Special Agent for the IRS in Denver. I want to gather a little insight on what we consumers can do to provide these type of scum with a legal proctological exam...I'm sick of all these scam artists and plan to bring down the legal hammer on these folks in our back yard in CO. I hope these folks have good counsel and very deep pockets...

    ReplyDelete
  5. received the same letter in Aug 2013. Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting! I just received this exact letter and almost paid it. What assholes these people are..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a real estate agent in Montrose CO who recently purchased my own personal home. We received a letter/statement as shown above from Local Records Office saying they provide a copy of the only document that identifies us as this specific property owner. I first chuckled when I saw it saying we can get a copy of our deed for 25 cents at our County Clerk's office. However, I examined this "statement" and it indeed APPEARS to be legitimate. With its disclaimer you can bet it is legal! (sale date was NOT correct) It is too bad people will simply send the $89 - thinking it is required - which will keep this bogus company going. By coincidence, today we also received our deed which had been recorded by our title company. I will be providing this information to agents at my office and association so they will be familiar with it to help their clients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I to got a letter after closing from this place telling me I need to send them 89.00 for my deed that was paid at closing. Why doesn't anyone investigate and close these places down with a hefty fine?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Based on these comments, it looks like this scam has been on-going for years. Just bought a house in Durango. Just received one of these today. 4 years since this original post.

    ReplyDelete